oxymoron definition and examples-oxymoron vs paradox

oxymoron definition and examples-oxymoron vs paradox

 oxymoron definition

 A figure of speech in which incongruous or contradictory terms appear side by side. (Example- I see a wild civility.)


 

Oxymorons from Everyday life

* Open secret

* Tragic comedy

* Disgustingly delicious

* Seriously funny

* Awfully pretty

* Awfully delicious

* Awfully good

* Run slowly

* Happy sad

* Orginal Copy

* Random Order

* Virtual reality

* Alone together

* Amazing awful

* Only choice

* Walking dead

* Painfully Beautiful

* Clearly confused

* Pretty ugly

* Liquid gas

* Dark snow

* Least Favorite

* Sad joy

* Liquid Food

* Heavy diet

* Noticeable Absence

* Quiet Presence

* Short wait

* Sweet Agony

 

Examples Of Oxymoron

 > I can resist anything except temptation. Oscar wilde.

> I like a smuggler. He is the only honest theif. - Charles Lamb

> And faith unfaithful Kept him falsely true.- Alfred Tennyson.

> Modern Dancing is so old fashioned.- Samuel goldwyn

> I am busy doing nothing.- Oxymorons

> A little pain never hurt anyone.- Word Explorations

> I am a deeply superficial person.- Andy Warhol

> We are not anticipating any emergencies.- Word

> I like humanity, but i loathe persons.- Edna st. Vincent Millay 

Difference Between oxymoron and Paradox

It is important to understand the difference between a paradox and an oxymoron. A paradox may consist of a sentence or even a group of sentences. An oxymoron ,on the other hand, is a combination of two contradictory or opposite words. A paradox seems contradictory to the general truth but it does contain an implied truth. An oxymoron however, May produce a dramatic effect but does not make sense.

Examples of Oxymorons in Literature

 example 1:

Why ,then, O brawling love! O loving hate!

O anything ,of nothing first create!

Oh heavy lightness! Seriously vanity!

Misshapen chaos of well_seeming forms!

Feather of lead ,bright smoke,cold fire, sick health!

Still-waking sleep,that is not what it is!

This love feel I, That feel no love in this.

Dost thou not laugh?

 example 2:

 The bookful bestow him,and will answer well

The death i give him. so ,again ,good night.


 

Comments